Sunday 8 February 2009

Can you repair and re-use your experience?

This morning I finally got around to looking at my HiFi CD player to see why it was not working correctly. It didn't take long to realise that one of the children had helpfully posted a 5p coin through the cooling slots of the case. I guess it looked just like a money box.

Coin extracted and dust removed, the CD played correctly and a big bill was avoided.

Today I also made the weekly visit top the local recycling facility (otherwise know as the 'dump') to drop off the cardboard and plastic containers that the local council will not take away on the recycling collection.

Whilst I was there I noticed the amount of electronic goods, some of them apparently quite new being tossed into the dumpster.

I'm sure that just as in my own case, some of this equipment could of have been repaired and re-used but we seem to have become the throw away society.

All this set me to thinking about how we use our experiences and how perhaps we dismiss past experience as being now longer of relevance. Just maybe though, instead of tossing that old experience into a virtual dumpster, it might pay you to dust it off and see if it can be reused in a new way.

Perhaps something you did for charity or fun in the past could be the basis of a new career. Perhaps a skill that you no longer use but still have could be taught to someone else?

Can you repair and reuse your experience in new and more profitable ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment