Tuesday 2 November 2010

Malware blasted

After my problems yesterday with a malware attack on my PC I thought other may want to know how I fixed it.

Fortunately the PC would still boot.

I interrupted the boot process and booted in Windows Safe mode.

I had already downloaded on another PC the anti-malware tool from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (This is the free version of the tool)

I loaded this onto a memory key, changed the name of the EXE file to something short but meaningless (some malware will recognise the name of anti-malware tools).

Dropped it onto the PC desktop and let it do its stuff.

It took around 1hour 45 minutes to check my PC and found and then removed the garbage program. (All whilst in safe mode with internet access)

Reboot and we were good to go.

I have now raised the firewall security setting up one level!

No comments:

Post a Comment