Saturday 27 March 2010

Smokers, excuses and waiting and waiting and waiting

Why do smokers do it?

Why do they make the phone call to a hypnotherapist and say “You’re my last hope”, no pressure then…

Often a long phone call follows as they satisfy themselves that you do know what the hell you’re talking about and a booking is made for some mutually suitable date in the diary.

Then, as in a recent case with me, the following happens:

1) You get ready with your kit for the session, in my case, books, CDs and similar

2) You arrive at the clinic in good time and prepare the room (I work from a health centre)

3) You’re ready but you check your notes that were taken on the phone and…

4) You wait

5) And you wait

6) And you decide to call the client

“Hi xxx” I say “did you remember that we have a quit smoking session booked for today?”

Client: “Oh yea”

Me: “Is there a problem, do you need directions? (It’s a call to a mobile)

Client: “Uh no, I wont be coming, I’m just back from hospital” (Blatant grasp for sympathy)

Me:”Oh, dear, what’s happened?” (I’m going for concern but my excuseometer detector is off the dial)

Client “It’s me boy in’it. He’s got bronchitis, had an attack and we had to take him in” (It’s not my fault I’m not there and you can’t argue with this one mate)

Me: “Right…so you won’t be in today. Would you like to rebook for next week” (I know she is never going to re-book)

Client: “Yea, yea, I’ll give you a call next week”

Me: “OK bye”

If what she said was true has she ever considered just why her boy might have bronchitis? Could smoking in the home and car have something to do with it?

Some people are just so challenged by making a change that staying in the same place is the only option they feel they have. Of course it’s not always great being where they are but still the thought of change scares them so much they are paralysed by inaction and go back to watching the master hypnotist in the corner of the room. (The TV)

This clinic scene has been played out enough times now that I’m bored with it. It costs me time and money and the ‘would be’ client is still puffing away like there is no tomorrow; which for them may be true.

So recognising that you can lead the client to change but you can make them do it, I have changed.

I did think about not doing quit smoking work any more but in the end came up with the idea of getting folks to pay fully in advance. It builds motivation in the client and it means that I’m not out of pocket if they don’t show.

Does that sound harsh? Perhaps, but for me to continue doing this work, first of all, I as a therapist have to survive. Having other people waste my time and money makes that all the more difficult.

By the way any smokers that do actually want to stop and stay stopped can contact me. The cost for the work is £195 for a two session package. If you want to book, expect to get your credit or debit card out whilst on the phone……….you know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment