Wednesday 28 August 2013

What can time and dedication achieve? A great deal

I saw this report in the Daily Mail newspaper and it reminded me that in this age of the pre-packed, pre-prepared almost everything, you can build extraordinary things from scratch.
The part finished cathedral 12 miles outside of Madrid

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2402990/Former-monk-Justo-Gallego-Martinez-spends-50-YEARS-creating-giant-cathedral-junk.html

A cathedral built from junk and discarded building materials,  by just one former monk, without a crane over the course of 50 years.

Of course as construction has taken so long, Juston Gallego Martinez may never see his church completed but when asked about the building by the BBC he said
'If I lived my life again, I'd build this cathedral again only bigger.
'Twice the size, because for me, this is an act of faith.'

The former Trappist monk who started construction of the cathedral after surviving TB
It makes me wonder about what anyone can achieve give simple time, effort and dedication.


No comments:

Post a Comment