Wednesday 19 June 2013

The move to Linux continued, fonts

If you have followed my previous posts you'll know that I recently made the move to Linux. (In this case Linux Mint Debian Edition)

Things have been going well so far but as I create my own marketing materials for my hypnotherapy practice, I'm interested in the graphic side of things.

I used Scribus to create an A5 leaflet but discovered that the standard fonts loaded with the distribution were rather...limited.

However I have discovered that it is possible to bring many of the fonts from your Windows machine to your shiny new Linux one.

Rather than explain the whole process take a look at this web page http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/installing-fonts-linux.

I right clicked on my Windows font folder and zipped it into a 40Megabyte file. I transfered this to the new machine with an external hard drive.

Then it's drag and drop time.

I found that I needed to create a new .font folder in my home subdirectory. Then it was a case of unzip the package in the folder.

The next time you open your word processor or DTP program you'll have nearly all your Windows fonts available. I lost some; I'll guess that this is because of some licensing issues. However I'm well pleased to see my favourite fonts on my new machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment