Saturday 19 June 2010

Oh good grief

I pondered for at least 30 seconds before making this post.

Fresh mug of tea brewed (it reduces your chance of a heart attack...no really..see the Daily Telegraph) and a short break in the mania that life is at present.

Like many other people who call themselves therapists I earn my money from a variety of sources. For me at this time it's a necessity perhaps for others it's a matter of convenience but many of us do it.

I find it helps to give me a more rounded perspective on the kinds of situations that people bring to the consulting room. I believe that helps me be a better and more effective therapist. This ability to switch thinking in different situations is a very useful skill to have.

This is not so much multi-tasking as many tasking. I only do one thing at a time, when I'm with the client I am really with the client; I'm not thinking about anything outside of our shared experience.

As someone put it to me the other day "Be completely present in whatever you are doing at that moment. Be in the room both physically and emotionally".

All of which brings me to the explanation of the blog post title. I was with a client last night; we started work as England started playing. At the end of the session it was half time and I had no notion of what the score was. (0-0 at that point) It seems that I may as well have booked another client in rather than watching the rest of the match. Having seen the final 40 minutes or so my reaction was "Oh good grief". England as world cup winners? I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment